the weather-- despite June 1st being the "official" start of winter-- was absolutely glorious. three days of sunshine and blue skies, so we made the most of it. we spent some time gardening: we recently pulled out all the lovely old rosebushes planted by all the previous owners of this house-- all 57348927589235 or so of them. (rosebushes, not owners. I think, anyway.) I have come to the realisation that while I do love roses, I love them best if they're in someone else's garden, not mine. so, out they came. approximately 6897457653479654 bulbs were also removed and tossed into a giant pile, which I attempted to pare down by giving them away to anyone and everyone I have ever met. "do you want some bulbs?" became my war cry, followed closely by, "take as many as you want-- maybe alllll of them!" that said, I still have a few left which I will replant in a spot where they won't run as rampant as they have been over the years.
so, yes. the garden is now rose-free and (almost) bulb-free, and instead features a hand-picked selection of native grasses and shrubs that I hope will prove to be relatively low-maintenance. it's still not quite finished, but it already looks so much better, and suits the style of the house far better than the slightly-confused cottage garden/wild meadow/haphazard planting look that was there before.
to recover from all that gardening, we spent most of Monday in the car, traversing the backroads and byways of surrounding countryside, which was like balm to my soul. we originally intended to end up at Evan's Crossing/the Pareora Dam to check out the walkway, but took a wrong turn somewhere along the way and ended up in Fairlie, scoffing delicious pies from The Bakehouse. best unintentional detour ever, I swear.
naturally, I took a whole lot of photographs. :)
right, then. apparently I can update this thing afterall. always good to know!
* lies. all lies.












No comments:
Post a Comment