Thursday, 1 April 2010

{ soar. }

touched.

soar.


I stood in the stone garden and watched the ocean. I could feel you whispering beneath my fingertips, cool and pale, secrets you swore you'd never tell.

te mana, I read, and: the silent one. The cave-dweller. Words tripping off my tongue: words spoken into nothing.

I am the silent one, curled into flesh and bone, wrapped in the cool white stone you see before you. A thousand pieces lie at your feet as I take my shape and rise toward the sky.


the above is something I wrote a hundred years ago, it seems like. I'm still not sure if it's a poem or one of the shortest stories in the world, maybe. but-- there it is, for whatever it's worth. I found it while looking through some old files & figured I'd let it loose in the world. be free, little fragment! go forth & multiply! & bring me back any hard cash you find along the way, okay? okay.

moving on! here's a handful of things I made: not a hundred years ago, but actually pretty recently. I've been spending a fair bit of time in my studio lately, & it feels so very wonderful to be inspired to create again. even if I'm just shifting piles of paper from one place to another, it's still doing something, I figure.

post-it.

- a mini-canvas, based around a Danish postage stamp featuring some fabulous Arne Jacobsen chairs. as soon as I saw the stamp, I knew I wanted to use it to create something like this: it conjures up all kinds of retro goodness in my mind, & that's the look I was going for. this piece is tiny-- in reality it's quite a bit smaller than the actual photo above. working on a smaller scale is a refreshing change, sometimes. :)

photo canvas.

- another canvas, but on a much bigger scale this time. another chair features, too-- one from the Copthorne Hotel to be exact, taken by me during our last vacation to Christchurch. there's just something about hotel rooms that I love (like, oh, room service, luxury bedding, air-conditioning, the mini-bar....and did I mention room service??) & I am forever trying to capture the essence of all of those things in a picture. whether a slightly-blurry shot of a chair & part of a curtain (albeit a very lovely chair & curtain) actually contains that essence, well. WHO KNOWS. but I like it anyway, so on the canvas it went, along with some fab Basic Grey paper & a few punched embellishments. I really like how this one turned out.

collated.

- this last piece is a mixed-media collage consisting of pretty much all the scraps of paper & other assorted ephemera that collected on my desk over the space of a week or so. I gathered it all up into a pile & decided to see what I could make out of it, & this was the result. as always, I'm left unsure as to whether it's actually finished or not, but due to the fact it's been like this for a while now, let's just assume it is. ALL RIGHT THEN.

aaaaaaaaaand, that's it. enough over-explaining for one post? yeah, I think so, too. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment