Thursday, 16 April 2009

hook, line and yarn.



I'm currently attempting to teach myself crochet, which, when you're me (as I am, funnily enough) is actually a lot harder than you'd expect. my mum printed me out a bunch of, according to her, "easy to follow" written instructions and diagrams, so I sat down with them the other day and begun to create my first masterpiece.

except, no. not at all, because I couldn't make head nor tail of all those written words. yarn over, what? loop the hook, huh? WHAT DOES ALL THIS EVEN MEAAAAAN? I got increasingly more frustrated at my complete inability to make sense of what appeared to be something relatively basic. I'm not a total moron, I promise, but I swear I FELT like one. especially when I realised that all I'd managed to achieve was to cast on a row of stitches-- KNITTING STITCHES. with a crochet hook. AND I CAN'T EVEN KNIT.

but! not all hope was lost, because I remembered exactly why I love the internet so much: INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS. a quick google search ensued, and in a flash I was on YouTube, watching someone's sweet Southern aunt demonstrating exactly what I should be doing. I watched it a couple of times, pausing at all the relevant points in order to mimic her exactly, and lo and behold, I actually found myself crocheting! the glee was immense, let me tell you, and it increased along with the length of the chain I was now busily creating, JUST LIKE MAGIC. of course, my tension is all over the place and I can't do anything other than produce yards and yards of that same single chain, but hey, it's a start, right?

exactly! so maybe there's hope for me afterall. and if nothing else, I'll have made enough crocheted chain to wrap around the entire world several times. AND HOW USEFUL IS THAT?

yes, that's right. not very at all. therefore, any and all suggestions for what to do with the longest crochet chain in the universe are MOST WELCOME. :D

2 comments:

  1. Well done! A basic chain is the first step for most crochet projects. I would suggest searching online for granny square patterns, you can find simple ones for beginners and work your way to more advanced ones. You also feel like you have achieved something when you finish a square!

    2 books I recommend: Stitch and Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller. It explains the basics vry well and has some great patterns too.

    200 Crochet Blocks by Jan Eaton. A great reference for granny square patterns, and has a great range of beginners through to advanced patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Ruth! I am pretty impressed that I was able to make some progress, albeit slowly. maybe there's hope for me afterall. ;)

    thanks for the book recs-- I'll make a visit to the library this week and see what I can find. :)

    ReplyDelete