
it's entirely possible that I'm addicted to the Living Channel on SkyTV: hours and hours of lifestyle, gardening, travel and home improvement shows. I love the Antiques Roadshow, A Place in the Sun, Property Ladder, and Escape to the Country, but my all-time favourites are the makeover shows, where someone's house starts off as bland, boring and badly designed, and is then transformed into a living space that is nothing short of fabulous. I love seeing the difference that colour and texture can make, as well as how furniture and accessories can make or break a room. it's not always about spending a lot of money, either-- many of the houses are redecorated on a strict budget, and make use of existing objects as well as repurposed items. sometimes, it's all about seeing past what something actually is and seeing it as what else it could be. (I suspect that's why I love thrift stories so much: all those potential goodies, just waiting to be rediscovered and given a whole new lease of life.)
of course, it's also amazing how dramatically a place can be changed by knocking down a wall or two, and I have to admit that I'm constantly looking around the house and plotting ways to expand and let in more light. just this weekend alone, I completely redesigned the bathroom and living room, and even if it was only inside my head, it still totally counts, right?
it's probably just as well I don't have a sledgehammer handy, is all I'm saying. :D
*
my time not consisting of dreaming up the next interior design revolution was spent doing this instead: lying in the grass under the trees at the scenic reserve, surrounded by sunshine and little red & white spotted toadstools-- a blissful Sunday afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment